Who Can Help You?
Should you need anything on your Alaskan cruise, there are a number of people who will be at your service. Get to know how to contact the following people so that any problems you may have are solved as quickly as possible.
- Captain: You'll probably be introduced to the captain at the beginning of the voyage, but most of his or her duties deal with navigation and ship-related problems, not guests. However, the captain is the ultimate person in charge on the ship. If you're having an emergency and others are not helping you, seek audience with the captain.
- Cruise Director: The cruise director is like the captain of the guests aboard the ship. This is the head person when a guest has a problem and he or she may have a number of people under him. The cruise director, however, is the person to seek if there is a real emergency with your stay on the ship, or if there is a problem with the activities or scheduling.
- Hotel Manager: The hotel manager is in charge of the cabins and suites on the ship. He or she usually works directly under the cruise director and should be contacted if you have a problem with your room or the housekeeping staff.
- Hosts and Hostesses: Often, on a cruise, there will be some sort of help desk that is manned 24 hours a day by a host or hostess. These people are you first line of help if you have a problem. They're also good at answering questions if you're curious about things like Alaskan ports of call, ship history, or upcoming special events.
- Shore Excursion Manager: Often, a cruise ship has a single person in charge of the trips to land. This is the person you contact if you have questions about a trip and this is usually the contact person if you have a problem while in port.
Of course, from the moment you walk on board, staff members will be waiting on you hand and foot. If you aren't sure where to go or what to do, ask anyone. If they don't know the answer, they will probably know where to direct you. Staff members on cruises are there to help you, so take advantage of their knowledge.